History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ulting Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ulting, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7513 / 51°45'4"N

Longitude: 0.6224 / 0°37'20"E

OS Eastings: 581114

OS Northings: 209104

OS Grid: TL811091

Mapcode National: GBR QLW.26C

Mapcode Global: VHJK4.Q7XR

Entry Name: Ulting Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119076

Location: Ulting, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Ulting

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Hatfield Peverel St Andrew with Ulting All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


Ulting Hall


Manor House. C16 or earlier with later additions and alterations including
fine late C18 early C19 hall, staircase and study. Timber framed and rough
rendered. Red plain tiled roofs. 2 rear red brick chimney stacks, one with
attached diagonal and the other square cross plan shafts. 2 storeys, attics and
cellar. Right and left tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes,
(single light internally) central single light window to first floor. Central
double doors with glazing bars to top lights, reveal panels, imposts and
keystone to moulded segmental arched surround. Of complex plan now with central
stairwell and various gabled rear wings. Internal features. Some of the
original frame is exposed with heavy studs, side girts and top plates to an
early roof raise. The 2 large brick chimney stacks now with later fireplaces.
In a rear room a thick round headed archway of painted brick leads into a store
room, the archway cut through an old chimney stack. The fine circa 1800 hall
with 5 moulded modillions, anthemion and palmette moulding to cornices; moulded
wainscots and moulded architraves. 6 panelled doors lead through moulded
pilasters to the circular stairwell, circular stick staircase with wreathed
handrail and moulded open string. There is a tall alcove and 3 curved and
panelled doors with moulded surrounds to the circular walls. The dome, with
glazing bars has a pointed stained glass finial. Tuscan columns at the rear of
the hall with moulded capitals and bases support the first floor stage. The
study is panelled, has an arcade of 2 columns with foliate capitals before the
recessed round headed window with panelled side cupboards. Fine Adam style
fireplace. False panelled shutters to front window. Forget-me-not and Lily of
the Valley mouldings to cornice. Bedroom with moulded wardrobe and drawers.
Moulded mirror surround and panelling to games room. Drawing room and one
bedroom with large bow windows. Stone flag dairy floor. Pump in kitchen. Large
cellar of several builds with vaulted arches to one bay and brick floor
throughout. Documentary research attributes ownership of the manor by Hecen
1066, the Bainards, Fitzgilberts, Fitzwalters, De Ultings, Bourchiers and Parrs
to Thomas Heneage in 1626, after 1730 to Voice, Nethercoat, Gower and Nicholson
1874. RCHM 5.

Listing NGR: TL8111409104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.