This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7748 / 51°46'29"N
Longitude: 0.6413 / 0°38'28"E
OS Eastings: 582324
OS Northings: 211755
OS Grid: TL823117
Mapcode National: GBR QLJ.LZ6
Mapcode Global: VHJJZ.2NDB
Entry Name: Wickham Place
Listing Date: 30 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119098
Location: Wickham Bishops, Maldon, Essex, CM8
Civil Parish: Wickham Bishops
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Wickham Bishops St Bartholomew, St Nicholas, Little Braxted
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 81 SW WICKHAM BISHOPS STATION ROAD
House. Early C18 faced main range of earlier origin with later extensions and
alterations. Timber framed origin with early C18 red and black brick main range
and red brick later extensions. Hipped double range red plain tiled roofs.
Large panelled red brick chimney stacks to left and right. Symmetrical with
pedimented central bay breaking forward. Black brick with red brick quoins,
window dressings with rubbed brick arches, moulded cornice and band under. 3:2:3
cornice panels. Stone coping. Oval window with red brick keystones and
dressing to pediment, dentilled and moulded band under. 2 storeys and cellar.
2:1:2 window range to first floor of vertically sliding sashes with glazing bars
in moulded surrounds. Left and right similar tripartite windows to ground
floor. Central doorway with moulded capitals and bases to fluted pilasters,
triglyphs and metopes to frieze, moulded flat canopy. 2 panelled door with
small paned glazing. A gateway in the red brick wall to left leads into a small
courtyard with a single storey hip roofed outbuilding to left with semi-circular
light over the doorway, to right an enclosed passageway, the door of 2 lights
with Gothic heads. To the rear of the courtyard is a 2 storey extension with
double range roof hipped to left. This with 2 window range similar to main
range. Band between. The fine brickwork, moulded bands and cornices follow
through to rear of main range, where the stair bay window is long with Gothic
glazing bars. Matching C20 French windows have been inserted in the ground
floor. The C18 plinth wall of the former conservatory adjoins the old kitchen
with a timber core to a circular brick corner column with moulded capping. The
former Mill House q.v. 1/104 adjoins to front right. Interior features include
panelled hall with alcoves and chandelier from Hylands House, Chelmsford. Cast
iron ventilator over doorway with shaft to circular cast iron floor ventilator
on landing. All rooms to main range with panelled window shutters, moulded
wainscots, dados, moulded surrounds to panelled doors, some original vertically
boarded doors with ironmongery to other ranges. Ionic fireplace to drawing
room. Flag and tiled passage floors. Rectangular domed roof to old kitchen.
This with original elm plank dresser table, chamfered and moulded front legs and
dresser over, moulded cornice, some panelling. Sitting room with panelled
fireplace from elsewhere and corner cupboard. Fine circa 1700 open dogleg
staircase carried through to landing with 2 iron twist and one fluted baluster
to each tread, moulded and wreathed handrail, foliate carved open string with
moulded string under. Panelled landing with jewelled soffit panels to archway.
Mouldings and panelling to first floor similar to ground floor. Good marble
fireplace with lugs to surround. Panelled built-in cupboard with drawers to
rear bedroom. Original thick glazing bars to window. Extension kitchen has a
fine corner cupboard with fluted surround and curved shelves, from elsewhere.
Old dairy, stop chamfered bridging joist, original marble wall table and storage
shelves, hanging hooks to ceiling beams.
Listing NGR: TL8232411755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings