History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ruins of Old Woodham Walter Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodham Walter, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7267 / 51°43'36"N

Longitude: 0.6237 / 0°37'25"E

OS Eastings: 581298

OS Northings: 206364

OS Grid: TL812063

Mapcode National: GBR QM2.NJ0

Mapcode Global: VHJK4.RVKP

Entry Name: Ruins of Old Woodham Walter Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119172

Location: Woodham Walter, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Woodham Walter

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Woodham Walter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Mortimer

Listing Text

TL 80 NW WOODHAM WALTER OFF OAK FARM ROAD

3/198 Ruins of Old Woodham
Walter Hall
10.1.53

- II

Ruins of Manor House early C16 or earlier. Red brick with some diapering in
black headers. The brick wall bases are not continuous above ground. Sections
follow the inner wall of the moat and vary in height from ground level to
approx. 5 metres. There are buttresses and walls of a former cellar. C13 and
C15 tiles have been found on site. Fishponds mentioned C13 and C14 and still in
existence C17. The moat is roughly square plan and encloses a mound to the
south east. The fishponds appear to extend along the eastern edge. The site is
very overgrown and archaeological research is necessary for an accurate
assessment. Thomas, Earl of Sussex succeeded the Manor on the death of his
father Henry Fitzwalter 1557. Queen Mary Tudor sheltered here before her
accession. It is believed the original Church lies within the grounds of the
Hall, part of a medieval coffin lid was seen at the edge of the moat at the time
of the re-survey. Thomas obtained a licence from Queen Elizabeth 26 June 1562
to build a new church where he should think proper qv. 3/178.


Listing NGR: TL8129806364

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.