History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stow Maries, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6633 / 51°39'48"N

Longitude: 0.6499 / 0°38'59"E

OS Eastings: 583362

OS Northings: 199386

OS Grid: TQ833993

Mapcode National: GBR QMW.P3S

Mapcode Global: VHJKK.6GX7

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117437

Location: Stow Maries, Maldon, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Stow Maries

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stow Maries St Mary and St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodham Ferrers

Listing Text

STOW MARIES CHURCH LANE
TQ 89 NW
(west side)
4/112
Parish Church of
11.53
St. Mary
GV
II*

Parish church. C14-C16, restored in C19. Flint and ragstone rubble with
dressings of limestone and red brick in English and Flemish bond, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Chancel C14, Nave C15, heightened in early C16, N
vestry, S porch and part of the S wall C19/early C20. The Chancel is of rubble
containing ragstone, flint, brick and tile, exposed externally, plastered
internally, but all the architectural detail, including the chancel-arch, is
C19. The roof is ceiled. The Nave is of dressed flint and squared ragstone in
equal proportions, forming a rough chequer pattern externally, plastered
internally. The N wall has been raised in red brick in English bond in the
early C16, with a parapet on a trefoiled corbel-table. The N window is C15,
partly restored, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a 4-centred
head, with a moulded label and stops carved with angels. Further W is the C15 N
doorway, with moulded jambs and a reset segmental-pointed head with a moulded
label and decayed headstops. At the E end of the wall is a rood-loft stair,
projecting externally, complete internally; the lower doorway has
hollow-chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch, and is rebated for a door; the upper
doorway has plain-chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch, all C15. In the S wall a
large section of the middle and all of the upper part has been rebuilt in C18
brick in Flemish bond, including the blocked S doorway. It has one C19 window.
The W window is C19. The roof is ceiled. There is a large timber framed
bellcote at the W end, square in plan with a pyramidal roof, sides and roof
weatherboarded, with a louvred vent with arched head on each side; it is of C18
appearance externally, but could not be examined. The RCHM reported one bell by
Miles Graye, 1686. In the Chancel is a C14 piscina, with trefoiled ogee head
with recessed spandrels and a decayed septfoiled drain. In the S wall of the
Nave is an early C16 piscina with 4-centred head and plain drain. The C15 font
has an octagonal stem with trefoil-headed panels and moulded base, and a C19
bowl. In the N wall of the Naveisq C15 niche with hollow-chamfered jambs and
cinquefoiled head with 2 recessed quatrefoils. Remounted on S wall of Nave,
brass of Mary (Cammocke), wife of William Browne, 1602, figure of woman, 3 sons
and 4 daughters and a shield of arms. (Trans. Monumental Brass Society, XII,
1978, 271). RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TQ8336299386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.