History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blackstock and Tudor Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Ongar, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7082 / 51°42'29"N

Longitude: 0.2053 / 0°12'18"E

OS Eastings: 552466

OS Northings: 203349

OS Grid: TL524033

Mapcode National: GBR MGQ.YGN

Mapcode Global: VHHMN.HBWC

Entry Name: Blackstock and Tudor Cottage

Listing Date: 11 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117774

Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Ongar

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Greensted-juxta-Ongar St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 50 SW ONGAR GREENSTED GREEN
4/59 "Blackstock" and
"Tudor Cottage"

- II

House of late Cl9 built onto "Tudor Cottage" of Cl6 with possible Cl4 core.
The C19 "Blackstock" front of gault brick with grey slate roof hipped to left
and with hipped forward crosswing to right. 2:2 window range of Cl9 vertical
sliding sashes. Central 2 panel, 2 light door in gault porch with Moorish arch
opening, and hipped grey slate roof lean-to forward extension with C20 3 light
window to left. "Tudor Cottage" at rear is timber framed and part weatherboard,
part exposed framework, with 3 forward gables to right and a lean-to C20 red
tiled glazed porch to central and right crosswing with glazed door. 3 C19 two
light casements to first floor and matching window to red tiled ground floor
oriel at left. Off-centre concertina shaft red brick chimney, and red brick
chimney to right. Gault brick chimney stack to "Blackstock". Internally is
an original chimney piece with straight mantel beam. Some heavy halved braced
timbers and some through braces show. "On their return from transportation The
Tolpuddle Martyrs, George Loveless, James Loveless and James Brine lived here
from 1838 to 1844" is the inscription on a plaque donated by Agricultural and
Allied Workers 19 September 1976.


Listing NGR: TL5246603349

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.