History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret of Antioch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanford Rivers, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6857 / 51°41'8"N

Longitude: 0.2179 / 0°13'4"E

OS Eastings: 553416

OS Northings: 200881

OS Grid: TL534008

Mapcode National: GBR T5.KLQ

Mapcode Global: VHHMN.QWKL

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret of Antioch

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 11 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337534

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117949

Location: Stanford Rivers, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stanford Rivers

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stanford Rivers St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 50 SW STANFORD STANFORD RIVERS
4/247 Church of St Margaret of
20/2/67 Antioch
(formerly listed as Church
of St Margaret)

GV II *

Parish Church. C12 nave. C14 chancel with C16 brick clerestorey C15 timber
framed bell turret, weatherboarded with lead spire. C15 north porch (now
blocked) and similar south porch (converted into a vestry early C19). West
entrance porch and gallery beneath bell turret c1815. Flint rubble faced with
cement. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel 3 light east windows cusped
with tracery over in a 2 centre head with label. Clerestorey with 3 windows to
north and south walls (early C16) of one light with rounded head and a square
moulded label. Below these in north wall is a C14 two trefoiled ogee light with
tracery over in a 2 centred head with a moulded label. South wall with two
similar windows and a late C15/early C16 3 light with cinquefoils in a segmental
pointed head. There is a C14 blocked doorway with a 2 centred head between the
two light windows. There is evidence of a destroyed chancel arch. The Nave.
The north wall has two C14 windows of three trefoiled lights in a two centred
head and a C12 single light with a round head. The North Porch with modern
inner door with segmental pointed arch over and plank and muntin outer door with
chamfered jambs and 4 centred arch with trefoiled spandrels and narrow panels
above the arch. Flanking it on either side of the uprights are narrow panels
with trefoiled and traceried heads. Above tie beam the upright has a sunk panel
with a trefoiled ogee head. South porch: is rendered with a C19 timber 3 light
Gothic window. Modern doorway with semi-circular rear arch of the C12 doorway.
There are 3 windows similar to those of north wall in the south wall. Chancel
roof with moulded and crenellated wall plates of 7 cants probably C16. Nave
roof of 3 bays with chamfered wall plates, cross-quadrate crown posts and plain
4 arm arched braces. West wall: with C19/20 door and 3 light window above
which is a C12 single light round headed window. C19 timber porch with flat
canopy. 6 panel double doors. C14 bell turret is a rectangular timber
construction standing on two portal frames with elaborate intersecting arch-
braces. Of medieval timber throughout, including the spire. (C. A. Hewett
Church Carpentry, 1974). Fittings: communion rails C17 with turned balusters
and posts. Font: of Barnack Stone, octagonal bowl with two pointed panels on
each face, round stem with 8 attached shafts, early C13. Pulpit, incorporating
6 C16 panels. In gallery front. 9 traceried heads from former screen. C16/17
panelling in chancel at back of seating. C15 benches in nave with moulded
rails, ends with moulded buttresses. Also box pews with wall panels. Brasses:
N wall of chancel to Thos Grene, bayle of this town 1535 on S wall Katherine,
wife of Richard Mulcaster, 1609. Nave. S wall Anne (Skelton), wife of William
Napper 1584, kneeling woman with six sons, all set in a stone tablet with
flanking pilasters and a round arch. Chest: heavy plain oak with later locks.
Floor slabs C17 to various members of the Petre family. RCHM 1


Listing NGR: TL5341600881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.