History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Range of Stisted Hall, and Walls Enclosing Yard to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8924 / 51°53'32"N

Longitude: 0.6072 / 0°36'25"E

OS Eastings: 579498

OS Northings: 224753

OS Grid: TL794247

Mapcode National: GBR QK3.BBK

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.GPVM

Entry Name: Stable Range of Stisted Hall, and Walls Enclosing Yard to South

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116272

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 7924 STISTED

7/255 Stable range of Stisted
Hall, and walls
enclosing yard to south

GV II

Stable range and coach house, now used institutionally. 1825 by Henry Hakewill
for Charles Savill Onley (né Harvey). Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with
slate. E-plan facing S, with apsidal ends to E and W. Main range of 2 storeys
(stables with rooms over), wings of one storey (coach-houses and ancillary
rooms). Ground floor set back, forming covered yard, upper storey supported on
4 brick piers and 4 cast iron reeded columns. 4 tripartite sashes of 2-6-2
lights and 4 paired sashes of 4 lights; 3 plain stable doors with small lights.
First floor, 2:3:2 range of sashes of 6 lights. All windows, here and
elsewhere, have flat arches of gauged brick, stone sills, and much crown glass.
4 plain pilasters (continuing piers). Long overhanging eaves on consoles,
shallow hipped roof. 4 axial stacks, symmetrically arranged. Central
clock-turret with coppered square base, clock, bell, cupola on 6 Tuscan columns,
coppered dome, and weathervane. 3 coach-houses in each wing, of which 5
entraces are bricked up, each with a C20 casement; one has double doors. The
apsidal ends each have 3 windows of 6-6-6 lights. From the E wing a wall
extends southwards to connect with the service range of Stisted Hall, with one
small gateway. From the W wing a similar wall extends S and E to enclose the
stable yard, with vehicle gateways to W and S, and 6 brick piers. Stone copings
on walls, stone caps on piers. The tithe map of 1839 shows an open passage
between the two apsidal ends, with a stable range to the N of it, and the
present coach-house wings to the S (Essex Record Office, D/CT 335).


Listing NGR: TL7949824753

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.