History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Lodge and Attached Gateway, Gates and Railings on Dwarf Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Stisted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8941 / 51°53'38"N

Longitude: 0.6121 / 0°36'43"E

OS Eastings: 579829

OS Northings: 224950

OS Grid: TL798249

Mapcode National: GBR QK3.CJK

Mapcode Global: VHJJC.KNFC

Entry Name: North Lodge and Attached Gateway, Gates and Railings on Dwarf Walls

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116284

Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stisted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Stisted

Listing Text

TL 7924 STISTED KING'S LANE
(south side)

7/267 North Lodge and
attached gateway, gates
and railings on dwarf
walls

GV II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Upper Lodge. Park lodge, early C19, and railings,
gateway and gates, mid-C19. Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate, and
cast iron. Lodge of rectangular plan with large porch facing NW, and central
stack. C20 extensions to rear. One storey. 2 original casements of 4 lights.
Central 6-panel door (with inserted lights in top 2 panels). Porch on 4 brick
piers. Hipped roof of shallow pitch. NE elevation (facing King's Lane), one
original splayed bay of 2-4-2 lights. Short octagonal stack with cruciform
shafts. Railings on dwarf walls and vehicle gateway to NW, approximately 3
metres wide, overall length approximately 6.50 metres. Scrolled and floriate
design with balls on spikes on top rails. Height approximately 1.50 metres. 2
gateposts each of 4 clustered semi-circular shafts with enlarged caps, each
surmounted by a crown vallary and eagle's head, from the crest of Onley Savill
Onley. The lodge was probably built c.1825 by Henry Hakewill, like Stisted Hall
with which it is associated. This was a public road until 1823, which was then
closed by an order of Quarter Sessions for the formation of the present park
(Essex Record Office, Q/RHi 4/39). The gates, gateposts and railings date from
the ownership of Onley Savill Onley, 1843-90. See items 7/268 and 7/280.


Listing NGR: TL7982924950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.