This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7822 / 51°46'56"N
Longitude: 0.1655 / 0°9'55"E
OS Eastings: 549476
OS Northings: 211503
OS Grid: TL494115
Mapcode National: GBR MFX.6NZ
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.TGCL
Entry Name: House 20 Metres North West of St Stephen's Cottages
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337570
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118141
Location: Harlow, Essex, CM17
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Harlow
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 495 115 MATCHING CHALK LANE
2/31 metres NW of St.
Lobby-entrance house, early C17, altered in C19, disused when inspected in March
1983. Timber framed, partly plastered, partly tile-hung, partly bricked, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays aligned approx. NW-SW, aspect NE with
axial chimney stack of 4 grouped diagonal shafts in middle bay, forming a lobby
entrance. Bakehouse to SE with chimney stack at end. 2 storeys. Plain door
under tiled gabled hood supported on elaborately carved scrolled brackets, late
C19. 2 windows on ground floor, 3 on first floor, boarded over when inspected.
Front elevation plastered, with label mouldings over ground floor windows,
forming a symmetrical composition. Gable ends hung with handmade red clay
tiles, mostly plain, banded with fishtail tiles. Elaborately scrolled
bargeboards, C19. Ground floor of rear wall bricked. NW ground floor room,
axial beam plain-chamfered with bar stops, plain-chamfered joists of vertical
section. Remainder of interior not seen, but reported to be open to roof on
first floor. This is a symmetrical lobby-entrance house of high quality, C17 in
basic structure, treated with some architect:ural distinction in the late c19,
and unaffected by modernisation since. An estate map of 1807 shows the present
building as the farmhouse of Feltimores Farm, with 3 other buildings on the
site. It was bought by the Perry-Watlington. estate in 1831, and some time after
1849 a new farm complex was built approx. 350 metres to the SW, the present
Feltimores Farm (Essex Record Office D/DEs P4, D/CT 164).
Listing NGR: TL4947611503
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings