This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.785 / 51°47'6"N
Longitude: 0.21 / 0°12'36"E
OS Eastings: 552538
OS Northings: 211906
OS Grid: TL525119
Mapcode National: GBR MFY.5WN
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.LDDF
Entry Name: Matching Hall
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118147
Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Matching
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Matching
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 SW MATCHING CHURCH GREEN
3/58 Matching Hall
22.2252 (formerly listed as
Matching Hall and Dovecote)
Manor house, C15, altered in C16, C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned approx. NW-SE, aspect now SW formerly
NE. 2-bay crosswing at NW end, C15, with central chimney stack, C17. 2-bay
crosswing at SE end,c.1600. 2-storey hall block between them, c.1600. Chimney
stack at junction with SE crosswing, late C16, forming a lobby-entrance to NE.
At N corner of NW wing, square service building with pyramidal roof, 2 storeys,
C17. Single storey extensions with pitched roofs to NE and SE of it, C20.
Second square building with pyramidal roof, 2 storeys, NW of the first, linked
to it by a wall, date uncertain. 2 storeys with attics. SW elevation, ground
floor, gabled porch, 4 double-hung sash windows. First floor, 3 double-hung
sash windows. Facade gable in middle of hall block, with double-hung sash
windows in this and the gable of the SE crosswing. Grouped diagonal shafts
on axial chimney stack. Some framing exposed internally. Axial beam in SW
bay of NW crosswing plain chamfered with step stops. Axial beam in hall block
plain chamfered with bar stops. Roof of NW crosswing of crownpost construction,
much altered, originally with gablet at SW end, altered to a gable. Crownposts
and collar-purlin missing, some original collars present. Roof of SE crosswing
of clasped purlin construction with curved wind braces. Roof of hall block
of joggled butt purlin construction, with facade gables both sides. Like many
medieval houses this has undergone extensive reconstruction in the period of
agricultural prosperity and rapid social change in the late C16 and early C17.
Originally it had an open hall in the place of the present hall block, with
the present NW crosswing forming a parlour and solar.
Listing NGR: TL5253811906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings