History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hatches

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlow, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7764 / 51°46'34"N

Longitude: 0.1564 / 0°9'23"E

OS Eastings: 548866

OS Northings: 210834

OS Grid: TL488108

Mapcode National: GBR LDK.QBZ

Mapcode Global: VHHM7.NMJ2

Entry Name: Hatches

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118159

Location: Harlow, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Harlow

Town: Harlow

Electoral Ward/Division: Old Harlow

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 41 SE MATCHING HOBBS CROSS ROAD
Hatches
2/38

GV II

Small house, c.1600, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, thatched
roof. 3 bays aligned NW-SE, aspect SW. Original axial chimney stack at
SE end of middle bay. Early C19 chimney stack at NW end. Lean-to extension
to NW, with corrugated iron roof, C19 lean-to extension to NE with slate
roof, c.1972. Single storey with attics. One C19 cast iron casement window
in NW extension, plain boarded door, 3 C20 casement windows, 2 more in eyebrow
dormers. Timber frame partly exposed internally. Jowled posts, arched braces
rising from corner posts to tie beams and wallplates, trenched inside studs.
Original floor in NW bay, axial beam with lamb's tongue stops. Floor in
middle bay probably inserted early in the life of the building, axial beam with
lamb's tongue stops, joists supported on pegged clamps at sides. No evidence
of unglazed windows. Chimney stack apparently reduced in depth, front to back.
Partition between middle and NW bay is of exposed studding, with wattle
fixings in sides, one original plain doorway through. At first floor level
a doorway has been inserted through the tie beam, strongly framed to resist
tension, and later blocked. This building has been divided into 2 cottages in
the early C19, with an extra door inserted and later blocked, now re-combined
into one dwelling. The SE end of the roof may be hipped or half-hipped
originally, but this is now covered by continuous thatch to the next house.


Listing NGR: TL4886610834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.