History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pond Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Matching, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7765 / 51°46'35"N

Longitude: 0.1836 / 0°11'0"E

OS Eastings: 550743

OS Northings: 210908

OS Grid: TL507109

Mapcode National: GBR MFX.K7N

Mapcode Global: VHHM8.4LFY

Entry Name: Pond Cottage

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118163

Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Matching

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Matching

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 51 SW MATCHING HOUSHAM TYE
3/8 Pond Cottage

GV II

Cottage, C16, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, mainly weatherboarded,
W elevation infilled with C20 brick and frame exposed externally, roof
thatched. 3 bays aligned E-W, aspect N. Axial chimney stacks at E end, C18/19,
and at E end of W bay, C20. Lean-to sheds at both ends. Single storey with
attics. S elevation, 3 C20 casement windows, swept. dormer with casement
window. Roof half-hipped at W only. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled
posts, curved tension bracing trenched to inside of studs, all original tiebeams
intact. The W elevation is of interrupted tiebeam construction, with an
unglazed window of 2 diamond mullions at tie level, all in situ and exposed
externally. There is original wattle and daub visible where covered by a lean-
to shed to the W and wattle and daub is reported to be present in the wall
between the middle and E bays. Roof altered, with 2 smoke-blackened rafters re-
used. The N elevation of this building is well illustrated in the Walker map of
1609 (Essex Record Office D/DU 25), and this clarifies its development. In 1609
it comprised 3 bays with a chimney stack in the middle bay, the E bay of one
storey and approximately 1 metre shorter than at present, the W bay in 2 storeys
from the outset. The lower room was lit by windows to N and S (it is
significant that Walker illustrates the N window slightly lower than the other
2), the upper room lit by the window in the W elevation which is still present
beneath the half-hip. At some later time, probably in the C18, the central
chimney stack was demolished to increase interior room space, floors were
inserted in this and the E. bay, and the stack was rebuilt externally at the E
end. Subsequently the building was extended eastwards by approximately 1 metre
to bring this stack into the building and to use the space to each side. The
alterations to the wallplates are fixed with forelocks. In the C20 a small
chimney stack was built in the W bay and the floor was rebuilt at a higher level
to compensate for subsidence or rising ground levels. The present N door
occupies the position of the middle window illustrated by Walker, but the
evidence of it is still apparent in the structure. C20 windows occupy the
positions of the other windows shown in the Walker map.


Listing NGR: TL5074310908

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.