History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8449 / 51°50'41"N

Longitude: 0.701 / 0°42'3"E

OS Eastings: 586148

OS Northings: 219702

OS Grid: TL861197

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.B1N

Mapcode Global: VHKG2.3WFL

Entry Name: Moorings

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337634

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116466

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 8619-8719 (east side)

8/152 Moorings

- II

House. Circa 1700, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. 3 bays facing E (gable end to road) with central
stack, forming a lobby-entrance. Original service wing behind left bay, with
C19 internal stack at end. 2-storey lean-to extension in rear right angle,
roofed with corrugated asbestos. 2 storeys and attics. E elevation, 3-window
range of early C20 casements. Central gable over stair, originally with window
in gable but now blocked and plastered over, and one early C20 casement in
hipped dormer to each side. Central 6-panel door, doorcase with pulvinated
frieze, scrolled brackets and dentilled pediment, late C18. S elevation (facing
road), 2 early C20 casements on each floor, irregularly arranged, and central
early C19 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, in early C20 reproduction
doorcase with pulvinated frieze, scrolled brackets, and dentilled pediment with
acorn pendants. Beyond the rear wing is a small brick lean-to, probably a C19
bread oven, now blocked on the inside. Original winder stair from ground floor
to attics in front of central stack. Chamfered transverse beams with lamb's
tongue stops in each bay of main range, and plain joists of vertical section.
Chamfered axial beam and similar joists in rear wing. Pegged main frame.
Clasped purlin roof with arched collars at half-bay intervals. Shown as Mill
Farm on 25" O.S. maps of 1875 and 1895.

Listing NGR: TL8614819702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.