History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crabb's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8289 / 51°49'44"N

Longitude: 0.6848 / 0°41'5"E

OS Eastings: 585100

OS Northings: 217889

OS Grid: TL851178

Mapcode National: GBR QKZ.CY2

Mapcode Global: VHJJS.T9D8

Entry Name: Crabb's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337635

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116470

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rivenhall

Listing Text

KELVEDON CRANE'S LANE (CRABB'S
TL 81 NE LANE)
(east side)

6/156 Crabb's Farmhouse

GV II

House. Circa 1500 and C16, altered in C2,0. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red plain tiles. 5 bays facing sW, comprising 3 phases of
building: (1) middle section of 2 bays, c.1500, with later stack at left end,
behind axis, (2) 2-bay extension to left, C16, joined to it, with external stack
at left end, (3) one-bay section of wider span to right, structurally separate
from middle part, with central stack. 2 storeys. 5-window range of C20
casements. C20 door in lean-to porch. The left section has a lower roof line
than the middle section. The walls of the right section have been raised
approx. one metre, forming a roof higher than that of the middle part. All 3
sections have jowled posts and heavy studding. The middle section has a
cambered central tiebeam, the arched braces to it missing, an original chamfered
axial beam with step stops in the left bay mounted on a ledged post, external
bracing, and a crownpost roof complete with 4 axial braces; the right bay of
this roof appears to be smoke-blackened, indicating that this bay was not fully
floored originally. The left section has plain stops, and a cambered central
tiebeam complete with 2 chamfered arched braces. The right bay has a studded
partition at left, in addition to the end frame of the middle section; the roof
was rebuilt in softwood following damage by lightning in 1986. The C18 N wing
mentioned by the RCHM (55) is now a separate cottage.


Listing NGR: TL8510017889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.