History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kelvedon Labour Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8359 / 51°50'9"N

Longitude: 0.6992 / 0°41'56"E

OS Eastings: 586060

OS Northings: 218703

OS Grid: TL860187

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.X5L

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.23GX

Entry Name: Kelvedon Labour Club

Listing Date: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116488

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8618-8718 (north-west side)

10/175 No. 75 (Kelvedon
Labour Club)

GV II

Parish workhouse, now a club with attached cottage. Early C17, extended in C18,
C19 and C20. Timber framed, clad with painted brick, plaster and some
weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays aligned NW-SE (at
right angles to road) with rear stack and one internal stack. C18 crosswing to
front and 2 wings extending forwards. Stacks to rear of left wing and to left
of right wing. Complex series of C20 extensions to left, rear and right. 2
storeys and attics. The front elevation has on the ground floor 2 early C19
sashes of 16 lights, and on the first floor one similar sash and one of 4 + 8
lights, in addition to C19 and C20 casements. C20 door in porch with fluted
pilasters and flat roof. Roofs hipped to front. Chamfered transverse beams
with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of vertical section jointed to them
with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, at both storeys. Original rebated
hardwood floorboards in attic. Original clasped purlin roof with arched
collars; some wattle and daub infill in rear gable, which is weatherboarded
externally. In the attached cottage to front left one ground-floor room is
fully lined with tongued-and-grooved and beaded softwood boarding, c.1900. The
parish workhouse was closed when its functions were transferred to Witham Union
soon after the Poor Law (Amendment) Act of 1834. In 1837 the building became
the Kelvedon Labour Club. (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974,
48).


Listing NGR: TL8606018703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.