History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8399 / 51°50'23"N

Longitude: 0.706 / 0°42'21"E

OS Eastings: 586512

OS Northings: 219157

OS Grid: TL865191

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.R8X

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.602W

Entry Name: The Old Cottage

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116566

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Feering

Listing Text

KELVEDON SWAN STREET
TL 8619-8719 (south side)

8/268 No. 1 (The Old Cottage)
21.12.67

GV II

Part of house, now hairdressing salon and house. C15, altered c.1600 and in
early C19. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, facade of
painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 3 bays
facing NE with C16 internal axial stack at left end. C19 rear wing forming a
T-plan, and single-storey lean-to extensions with slate roofs in both rear
angles. Small single-storey lean-to extension with hipped slate roof at right
end. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights. First floor, 2
early C19 sashes of 3 + 6 lights. 6-panel door, with 4 panels glazed. All
apertures in facade have flat arches of gauged brick. 3 truncated octagonal
shafts, each with a roll moulding at the base. In the right return one collar
of the roof is exposed. In the left return the framing is exposed of the right
wall of a former crosswing, of which the remainder is demolished, with jowled
posts, central post with mortices for a beam and brace, studding on the upper
storey, and an incomplete fireplace below. The interior comprises 2 bays and a
short bay at the left end, of a house which formerly extended further in both
directions, with a partition wall between the 2 right bays; this has display
bracing trenched into the left side of the studs. The whole front was formerly
jettied, now underbuilt, with 2 plain jetty brackets at the right end, and in
the jetty plate, mortices for diamond mullions of unusually large section and
grooves for sliding shutters. The transverse beam at the right side of the
right bay is chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, without mortices for studding,
indicating that the building formerly continued in this direction. This beam is
an insertion of c.1600, but the chamfered axial beam scribed into it is part of
the original structure, with a solid brace approx. 0.15 metre wide at the left
end of it. On the upper storey this bay has a groove for a sliding shutter in
the rear wallplate, and 2 longitudinal ovolo-moulded ceiling beams with lamb's
tongue stops, inserted c.1600. The lower posts between the other 2 bays have
been replaced by brick piers. An unusually large chamfered binding beam is
supported on the piers, with chamfered axial bridging beams each side with step
stops; plain joists of horizontal section are jointed to the bridging beams with
central tenons and housed soffits. The structure is slightly angled at the
binding beam, so that to the right it forms a parallelogram in plan. Original
rebated hardwood floorboards. Jowled posts, retaining 2 braces to the tiebeams
approx. 0.12 metre wide at the front, missing at the rear. The 2 left trusses
were both open originally. Exceptional heights at both storeys. The stack has
a wood-burning hearth on the ground floor, the mantel beam replaced, and on the
first floor an inserted hearth of c.1600 with chamfered jambs and depressed
arch, stripped of plaster. Ovolo-moulded axial ceiling beams with lamb's tongue
stops in both bays, inserted c.1600. Original roof of collar-rafter
construction, unsooted. On the ground floor one altered C16 battened door with
moulded muntins, heavily nailed, remains; the RCHM reported 3. Deeds from 1787
to 1922 are in the possession of the owner. RCHM 40.


Listing NGR: TL8651219157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.