This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8898 / 51°53'23"N
Longitude: 0.8988 / 0°53'55"E
OS Eastings: 599577
OS Northings: 225220
OS Grid: TL995252
Mapcode National: GBR SN5.D2Q
Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.JRJN
Entry Name: Colchester Town Hall
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117027
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO1
District Council Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/07/2016
TL 9925 SE 5/117
HIGH STREET (North Side)
Colchester Town Hall
(Formerly listed as Town Hall)
1898, by John Belcher. Exceptionally rich design in free classical style:
red brick and Portland stone. 3 storeys, lowest one stone-faced with
central entrance, carved brackets to porch support balcony above. 3 pairs
of engaged Corinthian columns rise through 1st and 2nd storeys to
support 2 segmental and one triangular pediment. Large coat of arms
above latter, breaking balustrade to roof. Statues in high relief
between 2nd storey windows.
Victoria tower, on return, rises above pair of bay windows. 162 ft high
topped by statue of St Helena. Lower stage of brick, upper part
of stone: very elaborate with 4 bronze ravens and 4 stone figures -
Fishery, Engineering, Military Defence, Agriculture. One of the bells
is from the Old Town Hall. Circa 1400 (RCHM).
Listing NGR: TL9957725220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings