This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8031 / 51°48'11"N
Longitude: 0.5592 / 0°33'32"E
OS Eastings: 576545
OS Northings: 214706
OS Grid: TL765147
Mapcode National: GBR PJP.XWV
Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.MYZ3
Entry Name: New House
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115478
Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Terling
Built-Up Area: Gamble's Green
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 7614 TERLING FLACK'S GREEN
10/130 New House
House. C.1600, altered in early C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing SE, with rear wing of one bay at
left end, and internal stack at the junction. Extended to right by one bay in
C18, with internal stack at the junction. C20 rear wing at right end.
Single-storey extension between rear wings. 2 storeys. 5-window range of late
C18 sashes, with some crown glass. Half-glazed door at front of C20 flat-roofed
central porch. Roof fully hipped. Recessed panel in front of stack. The
interior has chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops (other beams hacked back
to increase height) with plain joists of horizontal section. Originally of one
storey with attics (and probably of lobby-entrance plan), walls raised approx.
one metre in C18. On ground floor, carved Jacobean chimney-piece, reputedly
removed from the mansion south-west of All Saints Church which was demolished to
build the present Terling Place. On first floor, early C18 pine chimney-piece.
Simon Collins Farm, alias Newhouse Farm, of 70 acres, was bought by John Strutt
in 1720, and the house probably reached its present form then. An abstract of
title from 1673 is in Essex Record Office (D/Ra T.163).
Listing NGR: TL7654514706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings