History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buck's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Bardfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9483 / 51°56'53"N

Longitude: 0.4369 / 0°26'12"E

OS Eastings: 567575

OS Northings: 230564

OS Grid: TL675305

Mapcode National: GBR NFG.WSQ

Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.J9B7

Entry Name: Buck's House

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115344

Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Great Bardfield

Built-Up Area: Great Bardfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD VINE STREET
(south-east side)

8/205 Buck's House

GV II

House. Circa 1500, altered c.1600 and in C19. Timber framed, faced with red
brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles and slate. 2-bay
hall range facing W, and 2-bay crosswing to right. One-bay rear extension to
crosswing, c.1600, with C19 stack in right wall. Early C19 2-storey extension
in rear angle, completing an approximately square plan, with 2 stacks in gault
brick, and slated hipped roof of shallow pitch. 2 storeys and attics. Ground
floor, 2 late C19 splayed bays of sashes of 2-4-2 lights. First floor, 4 late
C19 sashes of 4 lights in early C19 apertures with flat arches of gauged brick.
Attic gable, pair of similar windows. C20 door. C19 pierced bargeboards.
Granite bollard on front right corner. The rear gable end is weatherboarded,
with a carved bressumer in seventine designs, c.1600. The rear wall of the
early C19 extension is of painted brick, and in the N wall is an original bow
window of 36 lights, with internal folding shutters, a rare feature. The
interior of the hall has exposed transverse and axial beams of a floor inserted
in tile C16, and a small area of C17 pine panelling. The early C19 extension
retains the original rear door, half-glazed in parchemin design, and the
original stair with stick balusters. The crosswing has jowled posts. The
c.1600 rear extension has an original 3-light window at first-floor level, with
2 ovolo mullions and one diamond saddle bar, now blocked by the early C19
extension. The roof of the hall is of crownpost construction, the rafters
lightly smoke-blackened, the collar-purlin and all the collars except one
missing. The roof of the c.1600 rear extension has cranked collars. The name
derives from the Buck family, whose headstones are in the Quaker burial ground
at the rear. RCHM 16.


Listing NGR: TL6757530564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.