This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9272 / 51°55'37"N
Longitude: 0.5173 / 0°31'2"E
OS Eastings: 573181
OS Northings: 228398
OS Grid: TL731283
Mapcode National: GBR PH8.5LB
Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.XTBJ
Entry Name: Prayers Thorn
Listing Date: 19 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115577
Location: Shalford, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Shalford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Shalford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 72 NW SHALFORD EWEN BRIDGE ROAD
3/58 Prayers Thorn
House. C16, altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with
weatherboarded dado, roof thatched. 2-bay hall facing SW, with originally
storeyed service bay to left, and originally unstoreyed parlour bay to right.
Stack in left bay of hall against rear wall, c.1600, forming a lobby-entrance.
Parlour bay extended to right approx. 1.5 metres in C17. C20 extension with
thatched roof at left end, C20 single-storey lean-to extension with roof of
corrugated asbestos at rear. One storey with attics. 4 C20 horizontally
sliding sashes, and 2 C20 casements in gabled dormers. C20 door in lean-to
porch with shingled roof. A beam of the inserted floor projects through the
front wall inside the porch, tusk-tenoned. Jowled posts, heavy studding with
curved braces trenched to the inside, clasped purlin roof with arched
wind-bracing. The original partition between the hall and the parlour bay has
been removed, and a C20 imitation unglazed window inserted in the rear wall on
the site of a severed wallpost. All joists plain and of horizontal section.
All the floor to right of the stack was inserted c.1600; one beam is chamfered
with lamb's tongue stops, another is chamfered with lamb's tongue-plus-bar
stops. The large wood-burning hearth facing to right has been divided by later
brickwork to form 2 opposite hearths. The name derives from an estate clap of
1603, in which the property is named Prayers, followed by the name of the
tenant, Thomas (misread as Thorn) Cleveland. This building is on the boundary
between the parishes of Shalford and Wethersfield, but according to the
Electoral Register it is regarded as being in Shalford parish. RCHM 36.
Listing NGR: TL7318128398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings