History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Panfield Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Panfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8966 / 51°53'47"N

Longitude: 0.5274 / 0°31'38"E

OS Eastings: 573994

OS Northings: 225029

OS Grid: TL739250

Mapcode National: GBR PHP.24N

Mapcode Global: VHJJB.3L5D

Entry Name: Panfield Hall

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115538

Location: Panfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Panfield

Built-Up Area: Panfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Panfield St Mary and St Christopher

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 72 NW and TL 7225-7325 PANFIELD HALL ROAD
(south side)

3/16 and 7/16 Panfield Hall


Great house. C16, altered in C18 and C20. Red brick in English bond with lime-
stone dressings, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Hall range aligned E-W,
c.1500 with at the W end a small mid-C16 extension to the S and a larger
extension to the N, C18 and C20. At the E end a second hall-range of similar
size and orientation, c.1570, with a stack in the S wall. From this a parlour/
solar range formerly extended to the N, probably part of a quadrangular plan,
which has been truncated to approx. 3 metres. Square tower to E of the
junction, c.1570. 2 inserted stacks, one in the original hall and one at its
junction with the later hall. 2 storeys with attics. The original hall has a
moulded brick plinth, exposed on the N and S elevations and returning at the E
end into the junction with the later hall. This has in the N elevation a window
of 3 lights with 3 arched heads of 4-centred curvature, recessed spandrels and
hollow-moulded jambs, mullions and transom, a similar window of 2 lights on the
first floor, and a blocked large hall window with moulded jambs, 4-centred head
and external label; below it, the brick plinth is ornamented with a diaper
design in limestone. The E gable has a 3-light window similar to that in the N
elevation, now enclosed by the E extension. The second hall has in the N
elevation a single-light window with square head and ovolo-moulded jambs, on the
first floor a window of 4 lights with square head and ovolo-moulded jambs,
mullions and transom, and a similar window of 3 lights on the ground floor of
the S elevation. The other windows are C20 reproductions. The doorway in the N
elevation of the second hall has a square head and ovolo-moulded jambs. The S
stack has 3 octagonal shafts, 2 ornamental and one plain, accurately restored.
The E tower is in 4 stages externally, with a moulded plinth and moulded string
courses at each storey. The ground storey forms a porch with an E doorway with
semi-circular outer arch, keystone and moulded imposts; above the arch is a sunk
panel with a C17 shield of arms in stone for Symonds of Great Yeldham, within a
flat pediment of brick. The 2 lower storeys have 2 windows on each side of
moulded brick, cement-rendered. The third storey has round-headed windows, and
a doorway with arched head of 4-centred curvature to the W, from the house.
Most of the windows are blocked. The original (W) hall has a NE doorway
(originally leading to the parlour) with roll-moulded jambs and 4-centred arched
head of plastered brick. At the SW corner there is a doorway into the small S
extension with moulded jambs and Tudor head with carved spandrels. A short
section remains (in the N corridor) of the edge of a former 'low end' gallery,
moulded and carved in the same style as the roof, with a defaced shield of arms.
The roof is of 3 bays with arch-braced collar trusses on wallpieces with the
finials carved in high relief, serpentine braces to the wallplates, trefoil and
quatrefoil pierced tracery in the spandrels, 2 butt-purlins to each pitch, and
serpentine wind-bracing, all components being moulded, unsooted. At the apex
there is an incomplete line of horizontal panels with quatrefoil piercing. A
fourth bay at the W end is of plain construction. The later (E) hall has 2
transverse moulded beams with lamb's tongue stops, and the original roof of 5
bays, with arch-braced collar trusses profiled to form a barrel-vault of
4-centred curvature, originally plastered to the soffit, now stripped, and
side-purlins with curved wind-bracing above. Traces of moulded plaster remain on
the end walls above the level of the inserted celing, in moulded panels with
detaced heraldic emblems. The original N wallplate has a face-halved and bladed
scarf. 2 tiebeams have been inserted. C17 stair introduced in C20. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL7399425029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.