History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Norrells Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Terling, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8 / 51°48'0"N

Longitude: 0.5606 / 0°33'38"E

OS Eastings: 576658

OS Northings: 214364

OS Grid: TL766143

Mapcode National: GBR PJW.4K1

Mapcode Global: VHJJX.N0RY

Entry Name: Norrells Cottages

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115450

Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Terling

Listing Text

TL 7614 TERLING

10/102 Nos. 1 and 2,
Norrell's Cottages

- II

House, now 2 cottages. Early C16 and c.1600. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay main range (no. 1) facing NE, with axial
stack in middle bay, forming a lobby-entrance, c.1600. 2-bay crosswing to right
(no. 2), early C16, with C20 internal stack at rear. Main range of one storey
with attics, crosswing of 2 storeys. 3 C20 casements on ground floor, 2 on
first floor, and one more in gabled dormer. 2 C20 doors. The crosswing is
jettied to the front, with 3 plain brackets exposed. The main stack has a
moulded string course, a billet-moulded cornice and 3 rebuilt octagonal shafts.
Crosswing hipped at rear. The main range has jowled posts, chamfered axial
beams with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of horizontal section, a trimmed
stair trap in the left bay, and a joggled butt-purlin roof. The internal
tiebeams are missing or severed. On the first floor a cast iron ducknest grate
of c.1800. The crosswing is of exceptional width; it has close studding with
straight braces trenched to the inside, a chamfered binding beam with step
stops, jowled posts without an internal tiebeam, with arched braces rising to a
low collar with central peg, apparently for a crownpost. No access to roof
above this level. This is a rare roof construction in Essex; another example is
known at Round Hill House, Lamarsh. Mainly plastered internally. This
farmhouse was probably built for the Norrell family, and altered c.1600 by John
Norrell or his son Augustine. The latter died in 1626 and the family lost
possession of the land at that time. (K. Wrightson and D. Levine, Poverty and
Piety in an English Village, Terling 1525-1700, 1979, 108, 138, 149, 178). RCHM
23.


Listing NGR: TL7665814364

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.