History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St George's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wethersfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9538 / 51°57'13"N

Longitude: 0.4896 / 0°29'22"E

OS Eastings: 571175

OS Northings: 231296

OS Grid: TL711312

Mapcode National: GBR PGV.JL0

Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.F5P1

Entry Name: St George's House

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115681

Location: Wethersfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Wethersfield

Built-Up Area: Wethersfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Wethersfield St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 7031-7131 WETHERSFIELD HIGH STREET
(north side)

5/169 St. George's House

21.12.67
GV II*

House. Early C16, c.1600 and C18, altered in C19. Mainly timber framed and
plastered, partly of painted brick, roofed with slate. 2-bay rear left range
aligned N-S, early C16, with internal stack at rear end. 3-bay crosswing to S,
facing S, with internal stack at the junction, c.1600, and C17 internal stack at
right end. C18 extension in rear right angle, completing a rectangular plan.
C19 extension to rear left. 2 storeys, cellars and attics. 3-window range of
late C18 sashes of 12 lights with crown glass. Central C19 half-glazed door.
Roof of front range hipped at left. 2 grouped diagonal shafts on main stack.
The left front ground floor room has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's-tongue-
plus-bar stops, a fireplace with depressed arch and double-chamfered jambs,
replastered, and a late C18 semi-circular cupboard with fretted sides. The
right front ground floor room has an axial beam boxed in, and an early C19
semi-circular cupboard. A central entrance hall has been made in the early C19,
with pine panelling and 2 semi-elliptical arches, both with fanlights and radial
glazing bars, of which the rear one forms the early C19 rear entrance, with
beside it an early C19 sash of 18 lights and crown glass, now enclosed by a
later C19 rear extension. The left front upper room has a fireplace with
depressed arch and chamfered jambs, with original plaster. The attic floor has
chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. A stair with open well rises
from cellar to attic, with moulded handrail and 3 turned balusters to each
tread. The left rear wing has jowled posts, some studding exposed internally, a
crownpost roof with axial braces, and an oak panelled door of c.1600 with
cockshead hinges. The right rear ground floor room has an early C19 cast iron
grate for coal. Most rooms are lined with C18 pine panelling. RCHM 11.


Listing NGR: TL7117531296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.