This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9281 / 51°55'41"N
Longitude: 0.6992 / 0°41'57"E
OS Eastings: 585684
OS Northings: 228952
OS Grid: TL856289
Mapcode National: GBR QJV.3KZ
Mapcode Global: VHKFP.2SHS
Entry Name: Oxford House
Listing Date: 10 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115918
Location: Earls Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Earls Colne
Built-Up Area: Earls Colne
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Earls Colne St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8428-8528 EARLS COLNE HIGH STREET
8/70 Nos. 17 and 19
On the OS map no. 19 is wrongly included in the Public House to the E. House
and shop. C14, late C15 and late C18, altered in early C19. Timber framed,
clad with red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. C14
aisled hall, of 2 bays facing S. Early C16 stack in rear aisle, and C16 4-bay
extension beyond. C15 crosswing to right, and later stack to right, roof
rebuilt to align with main range. Front aisle missing. 2 storeys. Ground
floor, projecting C20 double shopfront with central door (no. 17), late C19
shopfront converted into sash window, with projecting fluted jambs and flat
canopy with egg-and-dart frieze, all in red brick. First floor, 4 C19 sashes
with marginal lights. A brick pilaster divides the shop from the small domestic
facade at right, which has a C20 door with flat canopy and moulded architrave,
and a plain door with fanlight to a through-passage. The frame of the former
aisled hall is fragmentary, but indicates twin service doors at the right end,
bench fixings at the left end, and a heavily smoke-blackened crownpost roof with
down bracing to the tiebeams. Carved and crenellated mantel beam at front of
rear stack. Moulded and carved bridging beam with running vine design and the
molet of the de Veres, Earls of Oxford. Moulded joists of horizontal section.
Documentary evidence indicates that this house was in the hands of the
Leffingwell family in 1468, 1592 and 1598 (Wherein I Dwell, Earls Colne WEA,
1983, 49. R. Shackle, An Aisled Hall at Earls Colne, Essex Archaeology and
History 16, 1984-5, 153-4). RCHM 9.
Listing NGR: TL8568428952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings