History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Croft

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9425 / 51°56'32"N

Longitude: 0.6911 / 0°41'27"E

OS Eastings: 585068

OS Northings: 230527

OS Grid: TL850305

Mapcode National: GBR QJN.1KG

Mapcode Global: VHJJ6.XFQR

Entry Name: The Croft

Listing Date: 10 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115865

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Built-Up Area: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 8430-8530 COLNE ENGAINE THE GREEN
(west side)

7/16 The Croft

GV II

House. C16, altered in C19. Timber framed, mainly clad with white brick in
Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay range with underbuilt
long jetty facing S, with an internal stack at each end. Early C16 2-bay
crosswing to left, late C16 2-bay crosswing to right. Large Victorian 2-storey
extension of yellow brick to rear right, the same brick extended along the right
return of the right crosswing. C20 single-storey lean-to extension with slate
roof to rear left. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 sashes and one C19 sash with
marginal lights. First floor, 3 C20 sashes and one similar C19 sash. French
windows. The date 1600 is inscribed in the plaster of the gablet above the
right crossing. An inscription 'C.R.P. 1840' in the plaster to the rear of the
central range (enclosed by the Victorian extension) refers to the then owner,
C.R. Pudney. Jowled posts throughout, and plain joists of horizontal section
where exposed. The middle range has a chamfered tiebeam with runout stops and
one straight brace exposed, another concealed in a cupboard at the right end;
roof rebuilt in C17. The left crosswing has a crownpost roof with axial
bracing, and a chamfered binding beam with step stops. The right crosswing has
a clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing, and a chamfered binding beam
with plain stops and empty mortices for a central partition. Early C19 stair
with slender turned balusters, complete on the first floor, missing alternately
on the ground floor. This house was used as a parish poorhouse until the 1830s;
the white brick facing was added soon afterwards.


Listing NGR: TL8506830527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.