History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Overshot Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Colne Engaine, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9366 / 51°56'11"N

Longitude: 0.705 / 0°42'17"E

OS Eastings: 586046

OS Northings: 229907

OS Grid: TL860299

Mapcode National: GBR QJN.K20

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.5LK9

Entry Name: Overshot Mill

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337913

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115871

Location: Colne Engaine, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Colne Engaine

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Colne Engaine St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 82 NE COLNE ENGAINE MILL LANE
(north side)

6/22 Overshot Mill
21.6.62

- II

Water mill, now a house. C18. First storey of red brick in Flemish bond,
remainder timber framed and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay plain
tiles. Aligned NW-SE, with wheelpit at SE end, and 1 1/2 storey lean-to extension
beyond; attached early C19 granary at NW end. 3 storeys and attics; granary of
one storey. Ground floor, 2 C19 casements and 2 plain boarded doors, sliding
vehicle door to extension, also boarded. First floor, one C19 and 2 C20
casements; halved loading door, with half-glazed C20 door inside. Second floor,
one C20 casement. Gambrel lucam at attic floor on 2 curved braces, with C20
plain window. Roof half-hipped at both ends. Granary raised on brick piers,
with low-pitched pyramidal roof of slate. A cast iron pulley projects from the
rear. The fall is 17 feet (5.18 m) and the original overshot wheel of diameter
16 feet (4.87 m) was exceptional in Essex. The mill was originally built for
fulling in 1640, but converted or rebuilt as a corn mill in the late C18. It
ground cereals on a small scale in connection with a wholefood business until
1944, and also powered a dynamo. About 1966 the waterwheel was replaced by a
turbine, made by Gilbert Gilkes and Gordon, driving a 4 kw alternator. Retains
the pit wheel, wallower, wooden vertical shaft, wood-cogged crown pinion and 2
pairs of Dell stones (Colne Engaine, the Story of an Essex Parish, 1975, 18-19,
and H. Benham, Some Essex Water Mills, 1976, 79-80).


Listing NGR: TL8604629907

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.