History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colneford House

A Grade II* Listed Building in White Colne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9288 / 51°55'43"N

Longitude: 0.7158 / 0°42'56"E

OS Eastings: 586819

OS Northings: 229068

OS Grid: TL868290

Mapcode National: GBR QJW.1SB

Mapcode Global: VHKFP.CS78

Entry Name: Colneford House

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116027

Location: White Colne, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: White Colne

Built-Up Area: Earls Colne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: White Colne

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Earls Colne

Listing Text

TL 82 NE WHITE COLNE COLNEFORD HILL
(south-east side)

6/195 Colneford House
7.8.52

GV II*

House. 1685, for George and Elizabeth Toller. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red plain tiles. L-plan facing NW. Original stair tower and C20
extension to rear. C17 wing to NE. C16 red brick chimney stacks, one central
and one external on NE end wall. 2 storeys and attics. 5-window range of C20
leaded casements, many re-using parts of the originals. C20 square bay window
at SW end. Early C19 gabled dormer window at SW end, with leaded lights and
Gothick 2-centred heads. Ornamental pargetting with elaborate design of
conventional foliage, strapwork and foliated borders, accurately restored in
1986. Cartouche inscribed 1685 GET. Internally the frame is virtually
complete, with stop-chamfered bridging joists throughout. Late C15 moulded
joists re-used in C17 rear wing. There are double top plates with halved and
bladed scarfs, clasping the tiebeams and attic floor joists. Roof is framed,
staggered side-purlins with collars to principal rafters. C17 rear wing has
simple lodged side-purlin roof with yoked collars. There are a number of late
C17 bolection-moulded fire surrounds in wood and marble, and all main
ground-floor rooms have panelling of the same date. Many late C17 doors, most
with original work. Original open well staircase with turned balusters, square
handrail, and ball finials to newel posts. Staircase now terminates at first
floor, but part of the top survives at attic level. Main chimney stack has
re-used C15 mantel beam with cambered top, in centre room. Besides the high
quality and complete nature of the detailing, this is the most important example
of C17 pargetting in the county, and one of the most important in south-east
England. (Bankaert, The Art of the Plasterer, 1909). RCHM 23.


Listing NGR: TL8681929068

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.