History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8, East Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8709 / 51°52'15"N

Longitude: 0.6867 / 0°41'12"E

OS Eastings: 585059

OS Northings: 222554

OS Grid: TL850225

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LFM

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V7DM

Entry Name: 8, East Street

Listing Date: 31 October 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116138

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL EAST STREET
(south side)

9/106 No. 8
31.10.66

GV II

House. C15 and C17, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. C15 2-bay service
crosswing of former hall house, with C19 internal stack. To left, early C17
parallel wing, on site of former hall, and early C17 wing to rear of it, with
axial stack at the front end. C19 extension with internal stack in right rear
angle, and single-storey extension beyond. 2 storeys. Ground floor, one early
C19 sash of 12 lights, and C19 shopfront of 6 transomed lights, with 4 pilasters
with floriate carving and foliate capitals, and full-width moulded fascia.
Half-glazed double doors. First floor, 2 C20 square oriels with rectangular
leading. The front is plastered, with C20 ornament in panels; other elevations
weatherboarded. Roofs rebuilt in C18 or early C19, integrated and hipped. In
the rear elevation of the rear wing is a re-sited wrought iron casement of
c.1800, reversed to open inwards. The earlier wing has jowled and chamfered
posts with step stops, an underbuilt jetty at the front, and above it a rebate
for the shutters of an unglazed window. The studding of the central partition
has been removed and the joists raised, leaving the severed tenons of soffit
tenon floor jointing in situ. In the rear tiebeam, groove for sliding shutter,
and 3 diamond mortices, with restored mullions above a later doorway. Crownpost
roof over rear bay, much restored with inserted axial braces and collar-purlin.
The left wing is mainly concealed by internal finishes, but the original clasped
purlin roof remains, absorbed into the later roof. The rear wing has a
chamfered axial beam, unstopped, plain joists of vertical section, and an
underbuilt jetty to the right, the jetty plate exhibiting the mortices of a
full-length early glazed window. Attached to it is a weathered moulded timber
of C15 origin, introduced. Above the jetty, evidence of former oriel window,
and one blocked flank window with ovolo mullion. Primary straight bracing,
unceiled clasped purlin roof, short edge-halved and bridled scarf in right
wallplate. Wide wood-burning hearth facing to rear, with replaced mantel beam
carved with folded leaf design, chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. This and
other internal features are likely to be the work of Ernest Beckwith, wood-
carver, who occupied the building c.1900; he was concerned in the restoration
of Paycockes, West Street (item 9/227, q.v.) in 1910, Thaxted Moot Hall, and
many buildings in Coggeshall and Kelvedon. The carving is of high quality, but
as with the mantel beam described above, tends to combine the characteristics of
different historical periods. Other features of similar origin are a 4-centred
doorhead in the entrance passage and another over the door of a toilet to left
of the main stack. Hearth on first floor rebuilt. RCHM 72.


Listing NGR: TL8505922554

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.