This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8747 / 51°52'28"N
Longitude: 0.6921 / 0°41'31"E
OS Eastings: 585414
OS Northings: 222990
OS Grid: TL854229
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.FSC
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.Y47Q
Entry Name: Sheepcotes
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116064
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH GREEN
9/33 No. 6 (Sheepcotes)
House. C17, extended c.1908. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade
red plain tiles. 2 bays aligned NE-SW, with internal axial stack at NE end, and
fragment of an earlier building to NE. Small single-storey extension to E, and
large extension to SE, the whole forming an irregular H-plan. 2 storeys. All
windows are C20 casements. C20 door in SW elevation of extension. The earlier
fragment comprises the jowled post and tiebeam of a lower building, C16 or
earlier, possibly an open hall, exposed externally against the NE gable end of
the main building, with a filled mortice for a former wall brace. More of the
same truss may be absorbed into the small extension to the E. The main range
has chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of vertical
section. 2 inserted posts at SW end, re-used. Large wood-burning hearth with
0.23 metre jambs, converted to a cupboard. The owner reports that formerly
there was a winder stair NW of the stack. Upper storey plastered internally.
Clasped purlin roof, the ends of the purlins projecting to NE. Deeds in the
possession of the owner show that this house was formerly owned and occupied by
G.F. Beaumont, historian, author of A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890. A
map of 1731 shows the main range as one of a continuous row of cottages; the
road was then called New Row (Essex Record Office, D/DU 19/2).
Listing NGR: TL8541422990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings