This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8717 / 51°52'18"N
Longitude: 0.6875 / 0°41'14"E
OS Eastings: 585108
OS Northings: 222654
OS Grid: TL851226
Mapcode National: GBR QKF.LMX
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.V6SZ
Entry Name: Herrings
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116087
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
9/56 No. 20 (Herrings)
House. C16 or earlier, altered in C18, renovated 1951. Timber framed,
plastered with some weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main
range of 2 bays facing NW, foaming a parallelogram plan, wiht stack to rear of
left bay, and long range beyond, with 2 axial stacks. C20 single-storey
extension of rear of right bay, and conservatory beyond. 2 storeys. Ground
floor, 2 C20 sashes of 12 lights and bowed oriel between them of 24 panes,
replacing shop window. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights with crown
glass. Ashlared plaster. Plain parapet. Half-glazed 4-panel door in left
return, in introduced doorcase with fluted and panelled jambs and moulded
pediment. All the side windows (to Swan Yard) are C19 and C20. Underbuilt
jetty to front. Chamfered beams with plain and lamb's tongue stops. In the
rear wing, exposed plain joists of vertical section. In right wallplate of rear
wing, mortices for diamond mullions. Jowled posts. Introduced features,
including an eared doorcase with Greek key border and broken pediment, and a
pine and gesso fireplace in Adam style. In the front right corner of the left
upper room of the main range, an introduced C18 pine corner cupboard, now
attached, with spheroid head, profiled shelves, and modern base. Deeds from
1703 in the possession of the owner. The 2 moulded posts reported by the RCHM
(25) are not now apparent. The name of the site is recorded in 1394 (G.F.
Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 121 and 238).
Listing NGR: TL8511322646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings