History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

44, Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Coggeshall, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8723 / 51°52'20"N

Longitude: 0.6884 / 0°41'18"E

OS Eastings: 585170

OS Northings: 222724

OS Grid: TL851227

Mapcode National: GBR QKF.DWC

Mapcode Global: VHJJL.W69H

Entry Name: 44, Church Street

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116096

Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Coggeshall

Built-Up Area: Coggeshall

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Coggeshall

Listing Text

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET
(south-east side)

9/65 No. 44

GV II

House. Circa 1400, altered in C16, C17 and C19. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2-bay main range facing NW, comprising on
the left a one-bay hall (originally open from floor to roof), and on the right a
combined entrance and service bay, originally 2-storeyed. C17 stack to rear of
hall, C17 wing to rear of it, with internal stack to left, and extension beyond
of c.1967. Small lean-to extension to rear of service bay. 2 storeys. Ground
floor, one early C19 sash of 12 lights in service bay, and one C20 replica in
hall bay. First floor, 2 similar replica sashes. Mid-C19 4-panel door, the
bottom panels flush, the others moulded, in simple doorcase with moulded flat
canopy; one stone step, almost flush with pavement. The rear elevation of the
service bay has on the first floor one early C19 sash of 12 lights. Replica
sashes on the rear wing. The front and back doors are still on the line of the
original cross-entry. Mortice for missing arched doorhead in storey-post at
front. Deep rebate for former back door in storey-post at rear. To left of the
cross-entry is a spere-truss from whch the ground-floor studding has been
removed. In the front wall of the hall are 2 blocked flank windows, on either
side of the present sash, which occupies an original aperture. Each has one
ovolo mullion with moulded glazing fillets, and 2 diamond saddle bars; they were
inserted c.1620, severing original studs. Wide wood-burning hearth, divided by
a later brick wall to form a smaller hearth and storage recess. The floor in
the hall was inserted before 1565, and comprises chamfered joists of horizontal
section with step stops, arranged longitudinally and lodged at both ends on
original rails. At both ends of the hall curved display bracing is trenched
into widely-spaced studs. The hall roof has been raised approximately 1.40
metres, leaving a clear impression of the original rafters on the end walls,
weathered above and smoke-blackened below. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in
tiebeam/wallplate at left end. In the service bay plain joists of horizontal
section are jointed into the axial beam with central tenons. This beam is
chamfered, with step stops on both sides of the cross-entry, and on both ends of
the former axial partition. The studding between the service rooms, and between
them and the cross-entry, has been removed. In the wall to the right, near-
straight braces are trenched to the outside of widely-spaced studs. Jowled
posts. Over the service bay, vortices for axial braces indicate the former
existence ot a crownpost roof. The roof has been rebuilt in the C19 with a
ridge and clasped purlins, re-using some smoke-blackened rafters. In the front
left corner of the rear wing is a C19 pine corner cupboard with plain head,
complete with all doors.


Listing NGR: TL8517022724

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.