This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8687 / 51°52'7"N
Longitude: 0.6848 / 0°41'5"E
OS Eastings: 584940
OS Northings: 222313
OS Grid: TL849223
Mapcode National: GBR QKD.ZXJ
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.T9D8
Entry Name: Riverside Cottage
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337965
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116156
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL GRANGE HILL
9/126 No. 2 (Riverside
Cottage. Early C17, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with slate. Single range facing E with axial stack at left end, originally
external, now internal, and C19/20 stack to rear right. 2 storeys. C20 single-
storey lean-to extension with slate roof along full length of rear, and
projecting to right; C20 flat-roofed extension to left. 2-window range of C20
casements with rectangular leading. Plain boarded door with C20 gabled and
tiled canopy on brackets. Originally this was a single-storey cottage; the
walls have been raised approximately 1.40 metres and the roof rebuilt to a slate
pitch. Chamfered axial beam with runout stops in left bay, boxed in right bay.
One original roof truss is preserved in the intermediate partition. Large
wood-burning hearth with 0.33 metre jambs and a seat in each inglenook, of C16
and C17 bricks. In 1980 a child's shoe datable to c.1700, items of children's
clothing and clay pipes were found in this stack, now in Colchester Museum and
in the possession of the owner. Shown as one of a line of buildings in a map of
1639 (Essex Record Office, D/DOp P.1).
Listing NGR: TL8494022313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings