History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Luckinghouse Farm Oast House Approximately 8 Metres West of House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Maplestead, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9788 / 51°58'43"N

Longitude: 0.6354 / 0°38'7"E

OS Eastings: 581092

OS Northings: 234433

OS Grid: TL810344

Mapcode National: GBR QHZ.ZC0

Mapcode Global: VHJHZ.YJRC

Entry Name: Luckinghouse Farm Oast House Approximately 8 Metres West of House

Listing Date: 19 July 1984

Last Amended: 2 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338013

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114329

Location: Great Maplestead, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Great Maplestead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Maplestead St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Maplestead

Listing Text

TL 83 SW

Luckinghouse Farm Oast House approx. 8 metres west of House

(Formery listed as Luckinghouse Farm Oast House approx. 8 metres south-west of House)


Oast House. Circa 1700. Red brick built. Late C19 re-roof. Corrugated asbestos clad, hipped to right. Dentilled eaves cornice. Central band. Weatherboarded gable. 2 storeys. Vertically boarded door to gable end. 2 Window openings to ground floor. Loft door and louvred opening to first floor. A building of 4 bays, the western being the drying room. The 3 bay, 2 storey working and storage area with heavy chamfered bridging joists to first floor. Side purlin roof construction. Lifting hoist with original chain attached to collar above the trap door. Clay floor. Drying room has brick internal partition wall with central firing arch and quarter arches to right and left, the latter now bricked up. Brick floor. Timber support beams at first floor level, but drying floor missing. Timber framing to square ventilator opening under present roof structure. 4 ventilator holes to north and south walls. Scratched date "1855 MIN PCN" on interior brickwork. A hop yard adjoined the farmyard C19 and the building is reputed to have been in use 1870. A rare survival in Essex.

Listing NGR: TL8109234433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.