History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Maplestead, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9746 / 51°58'28"N

Longitude: 0.652 / 0°39'7"E

OS Eastings: 582248

OS Northings: 233997

OS Grid: TL822339

Mapcode National: GBR QJ6.3NP

Mapcode Global: VHJJ0.8M0N

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 June 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114347

Location: Little Maplestead, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Little Maplestead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Little Maplestead St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Maplestead

Listing Text

TL 83 SW LITTLE MAPLESTEAD CHURCH STREET
4/137 Church of St. John the
Baptist
21.6.62

II*

Parish Church, originally a chapel of The Knights of St. John of Jerusalem -
Knights Hospitallers. Circa 1340. Largely rebuilt 1849-55. South Vestry and
West Porch late C19. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Red plain tiled
roofs. Although practically rebuilt the church is of great interest on account
of the plan. It has one of the five remaining circular naves in England. The
Chancel has a semi-circular apse with traces of the blocked East window. There
are two C19 windows in north and south walls of two lights with quatrefoils over
and C19 stained glass. C19 two centred arched door to south vestry. In the
north wall between the windows are traces of a blocked doorway. There is no
chancel arch. The round Nave with an arcade of six bays. The two centred
arches are of slightly wave moulded orders. The columns are each of three
filleted shafts divided by V shaped projections with C19 capitals and bases (all
much restored). From each pier springs a two-centred arch which crosses the
aisle and rests on carved foliage corbels on the outer wall. The outer wall has
four Cl9 windows, longer but otherwise matching those of the Chancel. West
doorway possibly C14 restored Cl9. Of two chamfered orders the west face carved
with panels containing quatrefoil flowers. Label carved with upright and
reversed triangles, each with trefoil flowers. Arcade walls support a Cl9 bell
turret with a tiled pyramidal roof. Gabled dormers to main roof and small sound
louvres to weatherboarded bell turret. Iron weathercock to apex. Cl9 enclosed
west porch, with 4 light windows to north and south, flint plinth and boarded
front. Vertically boarded double doors. Font. Probably C11. Limestone.
Rough, originally a square bowl, with angles cut away to form an octagon. Two
scroll volutes to two faces, two rounded arches to one face. Off centre saltire
to the fourth face. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TL8224833997

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.