History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grass Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Toppesfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0159 / 52°0'57"N

Longitude: 0.5269 / 0°31'37"E

OS Eastings: 573502

OS Northings: 238291

OS Grid: TL735382

Mapcode National: GBR PG4.G25

Mapcode Global: VHJHR.2LXG

Entry Name: Grass Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338027

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114513

Location: Toppesfield, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Toppesfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Toppesfield St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 73 NW TOPPESFIELD STAMBOURNE ROAD
West Side
3/27 Grass Green Farmhouse

II

House, C16, altered in early C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with machine-made red clay tiles. 3-bay main range aligned NW-SE, with axial
chimney stack at SE end of middle bay. 3-bay NW crosswing jettied to the NE.
Aspect NE. C20 single-storey rear extension to main range with lean-to roof
of slate. Main range single storey with attics, crosswing of 2 storeys. C20
door, 4 C20 casement windows. 2 plain brackets and joist ends exposed below
jetty. First floor, 2 C20 casement windows, of which one is in a swept dormer.
The interior has jowled posts. The floor in the SE bay is original, of lodged
joists of square section arranged longitudinally. The floor in the middle bay
is an insertion of c.1600, with plain-chamfered axial beam and plain-chamfered
joists of horizontal section with lamb's tongue stops. The NW bay of the main
range is open, as a stair hall. The crosswing has plain-chamfered binding and
bridging beams with step stops, and plain-chamfered joists of horizontal section
with step stops. A major renovation of 1967 is responsible for some alteration
in the SW bay and the rebuilding of the roof. Both internal tiebeams in the
main range have been removed. The large wood-burning hearth is of 330mm
brickwork, c.1600. The accessible evidence suggests that this is a late hall
house converted to an upper storey throughout c.1600. RCHM 13.


Listing NGR: TL7350238291

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.