History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Yeldham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0194 / 52°1'9"N

Longitude: 0.5588 / 0°33'31"E

OS Eastings: 575677

OS Northings: 238750

OS Grid: TL756387

Mapcode National: GBR PG5.B47

Mapcode Global: VHJHR.MHST

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114425

Location: Great Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Great Yeldham

Built-Up Area: Great Yeldham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Yeldham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 73 NE GREAT YELDHAM CHURCH ROAD, West Side
4/32 The Old Rectory
7.8.1952
GV II*

House, C15, altered in C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade
red clay tiles. 2-bay main range aligned NW-SE, with 3-bay crosswing at each
end, all originally jettied to the NE. External chimney stacks to NW and SE.
C18/19 extension to rear, C19 single-storey extension to NW, large C19 extension
to SE. Aspect NE. 2 storeys, cellar and attics. C20 door in rustic porch
with tiled gabled roof, one C20 bay window, 5 other windows, all C19 and C20.
The jetty of the SE crosswing is underbuilt. First floor, 2 bay windows and
2 other windows, all C19 and C20. Two C19/20 windows in gabled dormers. The
interiors of the main range and SE crosswing have exposed heavy studding,
double-ogee moulded joists, wave-moulded beams, the beam of the crosswing also
having foliate carving. A small part of the NW side of the SE crosswing has
exposed original brick nogging arranged decoratively in opposed triangles,
originally outside but now enclosed in a later extension. The interior of the
NW crosswing is mainly plastered. The main range and SE crosswing have fine
side-purlin roofs with arched collars and arched wind-bracing. The upper room
of the SE crosswing has been elaborately restyled in the C19 with Gothic
carpentry and carving of high quality. The cellar is of C16 or earlier
brickwork. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL7567738750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.