This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0199 / 52°1'11"N
Longitude: 0.5595 / 0°33'34"E
OS Eastings: 575718
OS Northings: 238817
OS Grid: TL757388
Mapcode National: GBR PG5.B8F
Mapcode Global: VHJHR.NH4C
Entry Name: Change House
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114432
Location: Great Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Great Yeldham
Built-Up Area: Great Yeldham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Yeldham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NE GREAT YELDHAM CHURCH ROAD, East Side
4/39 Change House
House, mainly C16, with C19 and early C20 additions. Timber framed, mainly
plastered with some weatherboarding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Complex plan of irregular E-form, aspect SW, with 3 wings extending NE. One
internal chimney stack at SW end of middle wing, one at junction of SE wing
and middle range, external stacks at NE ends of 2 outside wings, and extensions
beyond. Stair tower between SE wing and middle wing. Other single-storey
extensions to NE. 2 storeys. SW elevation, 6-panel door in C20 doorcase with 2
columns and architrave, and 4-window range of C20 sashes. 2 original octagonal
shafts on SE internal stack, 2 C19/20 octagonal shafts on rear internal stack.
The interior has chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops, and sections of early
C17 panelling on ground floor. The staircase has an octagonal newel post and
flat balusters, c.1600. The 2 first-floor rooms at the W corner comprise the
most valuable interior, with extremely wide curved braces trenched inside heavy
studding, but the floor below is rebuilt and the room below much altered.
Heavily weathered framing is exposed on both sides of the middle wing, now
enclosed within later extensions. All the roofs are of clasped purlin form.
Listing NGR: TL7571838817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings