This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0133 / 52°0'47"N
Longitude: 0.5657 / 0°33'56"E
OS Eastings: 576169
OS Northings: 238091
OS Grid: TL761380
Mapcode National: GBR PG5.RV4
Mapcode Global: VHJHR.RNDH
Entry Name: Outhouse 10 Metres East of Old Post Office Cottages
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338033
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114440
Location: Great Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Great Yeldham
Built-Up Area: Great Yeldham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Yeldham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 7638 GREAT YELDHAM HIGH STREET, East Side
7/6 Outhouse 10 metres E of
Old Post Office Cottages
House, c.1500, now a woodshed/coalshed. Timber framed, partly weatherboarded,
partly clad in red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with red clay corrugated tiles.
2-bay hall aligned NW-SE, and service bay to SE. Extended to SE by one short
bay in C17. One storey. SW elevation, 3 boarded doors, one small C20 casement
window. Gablets at both ends of roof. The interior has jowled posts, and
complete crownpost roof in original building, with curved axial braces. No
inserted floor, no inserted chimney stack other than one for a free-standing
boiler near the SW wall. All the original roof is smoke-blackened. This
originally comprised a 'Unit System' pair with Old Post Office Cottages (q.v.),
and because it was the smaller house of the two, and occupied only
intermittently, was never converted with a brick chimney stack as was common in
the late C16. RCHM 22.
Listing NGR: TL7616938091
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings