History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Finchingfield Congregational Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Finchingfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9686 / 51°58'7"N

Longitude: 0.4491 / 0°26'56"E

OS Eastings: 568337

OS Northings: 232850

OS Grid: TL683328

Mapcode National: GBR PGM.DCT

Mapcode Global: VHJHW.QSS6

Entry Name: Finchingfield Congregational Church

Listing Date: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115152

Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Finchingfield

Built-Up Area: Finchingfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD BRENT HALL ROAD
(north side)

7/8 Finchingfield
Congregational Church

GV II

Congregational church. Late C18, altered in early C19. Red and blue brick in
Flemish bond, partly stuccoed, with slate roof. Rectangular plan with entrance
at gable end facing S. Facade extended to each side to conceal stair turrets eo
gallery. Early C20 single-storey flat-roofed extensions to front, each side of
entrance. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements. First floor, 3 original
sashes of 15 lights with rounded heads. Pediment with oval plaque containing 6-
pointed star. Low-pitched roof. Central recessed porch with doors to each side
and Tuscan portico. 2 C20 doors. The ground floor extension has a moulded
cornice. Upper part of facade stuccoed and painted, ground floor extension
cement rendered, sides and back of brickwork. The interior a horseshoe gallery
on cast iron stanchions with panelled front, and upper galleries on each side on
profiled brackets, with cast iron railings incorporating anthemion designs.
Internal stairs to upper galleries. The church was built in 1779. It was
enlarged and the first gallery built during the ministry of the Reverend John
Blackburn, 1815-23, and the upper gallery was added during the ministry of the
Reverend Baxter, 1824-33. (An Historical Sketch of the Congregational Church at
Finchingfield, Essex, 1955,unsigned).


Listing NGR: TL6833732850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.