History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cornish Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Finchingfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9943 / 51°59'39"N

Longitude: 0.4516 / 0°27'5"E

OS Eastings: 568416

OS Northings: 235709

OS Grid: TL684357

Mapcode National: GBR PG7.T61

Mapcode Global: VHJHW.S43H

Entry Name: Cornish Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115170

Location: Finchingfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Finchingfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Cornish Hall End St John

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 63 NE FINCHINGFIELD CORNISH HALL END
(west side)

1/27 Cornish Hall Farmhouse
2.5.53 (Formerly listed as
Cornish Hall)

II

House. C16, altered in C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. 4 bays facing S, mid-C16, with axial stack in second bay from right
end. Extended to left by one short bay, c.1600. Wing extending forwards by 2
bays from left end, c.1600, with internal stack at the junction and shorter
extension to rear, forming an irregular T-plan. Single-storey lean-to extension
to rear of main range. 2 storeys. 3-window range of C20 casements. C20 door
in gabled porch. The main stack has 2 chamfered recessed panels and 4 octagonal
shafts with moulded bases. Roof of left wing hipped at front, with plaster
coving below eaves, C18. At left end of main range, ovolo-moulded bargeboards,
c.1600. In right gable, C18 3-light window with casement replaced. The
interior of the main range has chamfered axial and transverse beams, chamfered
joists of horizontal section, and one transverse beam to left of the stack with
lamb's-tongue-and-bar stops; some original floorboards, jowled posts, close
studding, clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing, including some re-used
medieval rafters; and a moulded oak door. The left wing has in the right wall
some exposed close studding and an original window with 4 ovolo mullions.
Joists of horizontal section, some original oak panelling and C18 pine
panelling, and a clasped purlin roof. Moated site. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TL6841635709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.