This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8791 / 51°52'44"N
Longitude: 0.5514 / 0°33'5"E
OS Eastings: 575717
OS Northings: 223134
OS Grid: TL757231
Mapcode National: GBR PHX.28J
Mapcode Global: VHJJJ.H1WB
Entry Name: Swan Inn
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 113636
Location: Braintree, Essex, CM7
Electoral Ward/Division: Braintree Central & Beckers Gr
Built-Up Area: Braintree
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Braintree St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. BANK STREET
25.10.51. Swan Inn
- No 26
TL 7523 1/92
A late C16 timber-framed and plastered building with a cross wing at the
south end, built on an L-shaped plan with a long wing extending east on Swan
Side. This wing has most original features and is the most interesting part
of the building. The west front is much altered. 2 storeys, the upper storey
is jettied at the south end, now with sham timber-framing. The north end (No 26)
is roughcast on the upper storey and has a C20 shop front on the ground storey.
Originally the whole front was jettied. 4 window range, 2 double-hung sashes
with glazing bars, in flush cased frames and 2 casements (one with glazing bars).
The south front has original exposed timber-framing. The first storey has 1
double-hung sash with vertical glazing bars and small original casements on
either side under the eaves with square mullions set diagonally (now blocked).
The ground storey has a blocked doorway with an ogee headed lintel. The east
wing, which sets back from the south front of the cross wing, is jettied on
the upper storey, with exposed timber-framing. 2 window range, double-hung
sashes with vertical glazing bars. In the centre of the 1st storey, under the
eaves there are original casements with square mullions set diagonally (now
blocked). The extreme east end of the wing was raised later in the C16 to form
a cartway through the ground storey, with arched bracing. The bressumer of
the upper storey is engraved with the initials EWW and the date 1590. Roofs
Listing NGR: TL7571723134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings