History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stambourne Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stambourne, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0218 / 52°1'18"N

Longitude: 0.5082 / 0°30'29"E

OS Eastings: 572190

OS Northings: 238897

OS Grid: TL721388

Mapcode National: GBR PG3.98W

Mapcode Global: VHJHQ.RFHY

Entry Name: Stambourne Hall

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114159

Location: Stambourne, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Stambourne

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stambourne St Peter and St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Yeldham

Listing Text

TL 73 NW STAMBOURNE CHURCH ROAD
5/15 Stambourne Hall
7/8/52
II

Manorial complex, a 'Unit System' pair of houses, C15, altered in C17 and C19.
Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. L-plan,
consisting of hall house with 2 crosswings on NW-SE alignment, the service wing
at the SE, and to NW of it a 5-bay house extending to the SW, forming an L-plan.
Large chimney stack at the junction, c.1600. Axial stack in SW wing, external
stack at end of SE wing, enclosed by false outer wall in C19. Single-storey
extension to SE, C19. SW elevation, 2 sections of SE range set slightly forward
with gabled roofs. Door of 6 fielded panels in recessed porch, 2 tripartite
double-hung sash windows of 4-16-4 lights, one double-hung sash window of 12
lights. First floor, 3 double-hung sash windows of 12 lights and a pair of
8 lights each. 3 sets of carved bargeboards, and fretted bargeboards over
single storey extension. In end of SW wing, one splayed bay of 5 double-hung
sash windows on each floor. Some crown glass. General effect is of pronounced
C19 Gothic style. Some framing exposed internally. On SE side of NW crosswing,
originally forming the 'high end' of the medieval hall, curved tension bracing
trenched into heavy studs, and first floor supported on pegged clamps. Outer
walls largely rebuilt in C17 with primary straight bracing. One continuous
roof built on NW-SE alignment, clasped purlin construction, C17. In SW wing,
plain-chamfered axial beams with step stops, exposed joists of horizontal
section jointed to beams with soffit tenons. Roof of this wing rebuilt in C17,
butt purlin construction. Fireplace with 4-centred brick arch on SE side of
main stack, first floor level. Carved bargeboards, late C16, have been re-used
in the roof of the SW wing. Originally this complex comprised 2 houses arranged
at right angles, both of manorial status but different in date and type, for
2 related households occupying the same land. Later they were combined, altered
in the C17 to provide 2 full storeys throughout, and refashioned externally
in the C19. Moated site. RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL7219038897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.