History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chadwells Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Birdbrook, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0529 / 52°3'10"N

Longitude: 0.4889 / 0°29'20"E

OS Eastings: 570750

OS Northings: 242316

OS Grid: TL707423

Mapcode National: GBR PFP.BDF

Mapcode Global: VHJHJ.FN9L

Entry Name: Chadwells Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114071

Location: Birdbrook, Braintree, Essex, CO9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Birdbrook

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Birdbrook St Augustine of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Bumpstead

Listing Text

TL 74 SW BIRDBROOK
3/6 Chadwells Farmhouse
7/8/52

II


House, early C17, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. Main range aligned approx. E-W with 2-bay crosswing
at E end. Internal chimney stack at the junction, and external stack at W end.
Ancillary building at W end combined with house in 1971, forming a second,
longer crosswing, enclosing the last stack. Single-storey with attics. N
elevation, door with tiled gabled hood, 4 casement windows, all C20. On first
floor, 4 more, of which 2 are in flat-roofed dormers. Main chimney stack has
sunk panel with inscription painted on plaster:
1631
MS ES
4 octagonal shafts rebuilt 1971. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled
posts. Straight bracing trenched inside studs. Plain-chamfered axial beams
with lamb's tongue stops in main range, plain-chamfered binding beam with more
elaborate carved stops in crosswing. Some joists exposed, of horizontal
section. Both chimney stacks original, but ground-floor hearths much altered.
Clasped purlin roof. The name is first recorded in court rolls of 1293 as
Caldewell (Essex Record Office D/DU 268, transcr. J.A. Buck. Deeds in the
possession of the owner show that the farm of about 110 acres was bought by
Martin Sparrow of Wixoe, gent, in 1622, and his initials appear on the chimney
stack. E.S. has not been identified. There are farm maps of 1726, 1808 and
1844 in Essex Record Office. The history of the property from 1622 is described
in P. Crouch: The Story of Chadwells Farm, Birdbrook, The Haverhill Historian
9 September 1981 and 10 May 1982 (copies in Suffolk Record Office).


Listing NGR: TL7075042316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.