History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

End Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Helions Bumpstead, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0467 / 52°2'47"N

Longitude: 0.4067 / 0°24'24"E

OS Eastings: 565138

OS Northings: 241429

OS Grid: TL651414

Mapcode National: GBR ND8.MN4

Mapcode Global: VHJHH.0TCD

Entry Name: End Cottage

Listing Date: 16 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 114109

Location: Helions Bumpstead, Braintree, Essex, CB9

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Helions Bumpstead

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Helions Bumpstead St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Bumpstead

Listing Text

TL 64 SE HELIONS BUMPSTEAD WATER LANE
2/32 End Cottage

GV II

House, C16, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roof thatched.
4 bays aligned NE-SW, aspect NW, with axial chimney stack in the middle. C20
wing to rear of SW end, forming an L-plan, and single-storey lean-to extension
in E angle. Single storey with attics. C20 door, one horizontally sliding sash
window of 12 lights, C19. 2 C20 casement windows, 2 more in gabled dormers.
Roof hipped at SW end. Date 1799 in modern plaster of NE gable. Some framing
exposed internally. Jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces trenched
outside, edge-halved and bridled scarf in SE wallplate. The NE bay was
originally of one storey with a gablet roof, later extended to form a gable and
floor inserted. There is an original central doorway into the next bay, showing
that this was the service end. In the second bay there is a floor of
longitudinal joists of horizontal section, unchamfered. Above this the roof is
of collar-rafter construction, with some charred timbers. There are 2 large
wood-burning hearths, both with apertures for bread ovens to the NW, and a cast
iron fireback with the crest of the City of London and the initials FW, C17. SW
of this, most of the structure has been renewed, as the result of a fire in 1883
and modern alterations. The fire was recorded in the Cambridge Evening News in
1883, at which time the building comprised 2 cottages, Worlds End Cottage and
Water Lane Cottage.


Listing NGR: TL6513841429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.