This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0296 / 52°1'46"N
Longitude: 0.4347 / 0°26'5"E
OS Eastings: 567124
OS Northings: 239598
OS Grid: TL671395
Mapcode National: GBR NDH.NQQ
Mapcode Global: VHJHP.H75Y
Entry Name: Latchleys Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 16 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114174
Location: Steeple Bumpstead, Braintree, Essex, CB9
Civil Parish: Steeple Bumpstead
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Steeple Bumpstead St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 63 NE STEEPLE BUMPSTEAD
4/1 Latchleys Farmhouse
7/8/52 (formerly listed as
Larchleys Manor House)
Manor house, c.1520, extended in C17 and C18, altered in C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 5-bay range aligned N-S,
jettied to the W, with external chimney stack on E wall of second bay from S.
3-bay range to W of N end with chimney stack at the junction, c.1600, and stair
tower in SW angle. Smaller C17/18 extensions to E of main range. C18 extension
to W of W wing. Jetty of original range partly enclosed, underbuilt elsewhere.
2 storeys and cellar. S elevations, one 6-panel door, one 4-panel door, 8 C20
casement windows. First floor, 8 C20 casement windows. Roof of stair tower
hipped. C19 scalloped bargeboards on S gable. Grouped diagonal shafts on
central chimney stack. C17 carved bargeboards on W end of W wing, much
weathered. The interior has jowled posts and curved braces trenched inside
heavy studding. The original range has cambered tiebeams with one surviving
pair of braces forming a depressed arch, edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the
wallplates, and a clasped purlin roof with arch-braced collars and curved wind
bracing, with a ceiling inserted c.1600. The N ground-floor room of 2 bays
has transverse and axial beams with double ogee mouldings, carved running
foliage, and carved bosses of roses, pomegranates and other devices. The room
to the S, originally of 2 bays, has plain-chamfered beams, and the hearth
contains a late C17 cast iron fireback representing Neptune and mermaids, etc.
(recorded in another room by the RCHM). The S bay is a short one, originally
partitioned off but now combined with the next room. Part of the jetty is
exposed internally, with one plain brace and very wide joists jointed to the
axial beam and soffit tenons with diminished haunches (Hewett 1980, figure 303).
The W wing has very high rooms at both levels; blocked dormers in the N pitch
of the roof indicate that the attic was designed for occupation. The wallplates
have face-halved and bladed scarfs; the roof is of clasped purlin construction.
The staircase is of early C17 date, with a well, square newels, large turned
balusters, a heavy moulded rail, and a broad string with bolection-moulded
diamonds. A number of interior features recorded by the RCHM are not now
present. Tapestry from the house is at Saffron Walden Museum. The inclusion
of pomegranates in the carving allows the earlier part of the house to be
closely dated to the period between the coronation of Catherine of Aragon in
1509 and her fall from the King's favour in 1526; this is consistent with all
other physical features, and forms a valuable check on dating methods in use
in Essex. RCHM 7.
Listing NGR: TL6712439598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings