History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broomfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.767 / 51°46'1"N

Longitude: 0.4699 / 0°28'11"E

OS Eastings: 570524

OS Northings: 210473

OS Grid: TL705104

Mapcode National: GBR PK4.5LJ

Mapcode Global: VHJJW.3V79

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 10 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338425

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112451

Location: Broomfield, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Civil Parish: Broomfield

Built-Up Area: Chelmsford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Broomfield St Mary with St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Chelmsford

Listing Text

BROOMFIELD

719/25/28 CHURCH GREEN
10-APR-67 BROOMFIELD
Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*

Parish church. Late C11 nave and west part of chancel. Tower added early C12, chancel lengthened c. 1430 and spire added to tower. Restored 1870 by Frederick Chancellor: north aisle, chancel chapel, vestry and south porch added. Coursed flint and ferruginous conglomerate with Roman bricks as quoins, and later ashlar quoins; plaintiled roofs, spire with shingles.
PLAN: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, chancel chapel and vestry.
EXTERIOR: circular 2-stage west tower with 3 round-headed lancets to each stage, those to belfry louvred. Broached octagonal spire. South nave with 2 2-light early Perpendicular windows (renewed 1870) and one low-side window with a transom and a trefoiled head. Timber south porch on flint and stone plinth, of 1870. Gabled, with an elaborate cusped bargeboard, and 3 triple lights to the flanks. 3 tiers of glazing in south gable to the side of and above the 4-centred entrance arch.
Chancel with 3 single-light windows to south side under square hoods on label stops. Arched and moulded priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses and a 3-light Perpendicular east window.
North aisle with a 3-light Curvilinear west window and 3 2-light cusped side windows. North chancel chapel with diagonal east buttresses and a 3-light Curvilinear east window.
Additions of 1997 to north of the north chancel chapel and north aisle: windows of intersecting or early Perpendicular forms. Linking piece connects with north chancel chapel.
INTERIOR: round Norman tower arch. 3-bay north arcade of octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on demi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. Nave roof of 3 principal trusses on arched braces dropping to corbels. Ashlaring.
3-bay north chancel arcade identical to north nave arcade. Chancel roof of secondary rafters, collars and straight braces.
Vestry to north of chancel chapel with diagonal buttresses and a blocked north window.
Passage of 1997 encloses vestry and leads to St Leonard's Hall to the north.
FITTINGS: early C12 stone font with a square bowl and 4 corner piers. Piers circular and with scalloped capitals. C19 central drum support. Bowl with 3 pointed arches in relief. Engaged columns to the corners. Stone chancel reredos of 1870 carved with representation of the Last Supper. Heavily cusped sedilia of 1870. White marble wall monument (south nave wall) to Thomas Pocklington, died 1769: scrolled consoles and apron terminals. Broken top pediment containing achievement. Rectangular inscription panel. Wall monument to Thomas Manwood, died 1718 (south nave). White marble with black marble inscription panel, sill and apron consoles. Fluted Ionic pilasters with carved volutes rise to black marble frieze and terminate in a scrolled swan-necked pediment containing an achievement. Opened tent cloth arranged as a swag framing inscription panel. Chancel windows with stained glass by Rosemary Rutherford, 1954-60. Mural in tower, 1941, by Rutherford, depicting St Peter the Fisherman.


Listing NGR: TL7052410473

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.