This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8264 / 51°49'35"N
Longitude: 0.5057 / 0°30'20"E
OS Eastings: 572772
OS Northings: 217167
OS Grid: TL727171
Mapcode National: GBR PJF.GP6
Mapcode Global: VHJJP.QC67
Entry Name: St Anne's Castle Inn
Listing Date: 19 June 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112655
Location: Great and Little Leighs, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Great and Little Leighs
Built-Up Area: Great Leighs
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great and Little Leighs and Little Waltham
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. GREAT AND LITTLE MAIN ROAD
5213 LEIGHS (East Side)
St Anne's Castle Inn
TL 71 NW 2/678
The present Inn stands on the site of a hermitage known as St Anne's where pilgrims
rested on their way to and from the tomb of St Thomas a Becket. At the dissolution
in 1571 it was given to Thomas Jennings and in l636 a Will Chandler is recorded
as being "keeper of the Innes at Pleshie and St Annes. An Inn is shown on the
site on Ogilby's map of 1675. Thepresent building is early C19, painted brick.
2 storeys. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals.
The ground storey has 3 canted bays on the front. The doorways have panelled
reveals, architraves with corner roundels and cornice hoods. Roof slate, hipped,
with a paired bracketted eaves soffit.
Listing NGR: TL7277217167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings