This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6779 / 51°40'40"N
Longitude: 0.407 / 0°24'25"E
OS Eastings: 566512
OS Northings: 200422
OS Grid: TL665004
Mapcode National: GBR NJQ.MQX
Mapcode Global: VHJKF.03H2
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 10 April 1967
Last Amended: 19 June 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112879
Location: Margaretting, Chelmsford, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Margaretting
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Margaretting St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. MARGARETTING CHURCH LANE
TL 60 SE 12/382 10.4.67
A flint and stone rubble church of Norman origin but almost completely rebuilt
in the early-mid C15, with a timber-framed, weatherboarded and shingled west tower
with a broach spire. The roofs to the nave, chancel and aisle are tiled. The
chancel was altered in the C16 and the church was much altered by restoration
in 1877. A portion of the north wall to the east of the north porch is of Norman
work and incorporates Roman tiles. The most important features of the church
are the C15 west tower and north porch. The tower is supported on 10 posts with
shores and cross bracing (of, Churches at Stock, Navestock and Blackmore, Essex).
The lower stage is faced in vertical weatherboarding and has a tiled, hipped,
roof. The upper stage and broach spire is shingled. The north porch has cusped
bargeboards and traceried side lights. The doorway has a 4-centred arch with
traceried spandrels and the oak door is of the same period, partly renewed. The
king post roof to the nave is C15 and the chancel roof is C16. The chancel has
a Tree of Jesse window which is made up of C15 Flemish glass, fragments from earlier
windows built into its present position in the restoration of 1877. Fittings
include a C15 octagonal font carved with emblems and a grotesque head, a carved
alabaster wall monument to John Tanfield of Coptfold Hall (dated 1625), A C16
brass of Robert Sedge, his wife and children, of "Shenfield" (now known as "Killigrews")
and the lower part of a C15 rood screen. The 4 bells in the belfry are all of
pre-Reformation date. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL6651200422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings