History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killigrews

A Grade II* Listed Building in Margaretting, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6983 / 51°41'54"N

Longitude: 0.4421 / 0°26'31"E

OS Eastings: 568865

OS Northings: 202777

OS Grid: TL688027

Mapcode National: GBR NJK.JL1

Mapcode Global: VHJK7.MK2X

Entry Name: Killigrews

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112883

Location: Margaretting, Chelmsford, Essex, CM4

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford

Civil Parish: Margaretting

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Widford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Baddow

Listing Text

1. MARGARETTING MAIN ROAD
5213 (South-East Side)
Killigrews
TL 60 SE 12/383 29.12.52.
II*

2.
Approached by a drive from Main Road. Prior to 1745 the house was known as "Shenfield".
Originally an early C16 moated manor house built by John Berdefeld of Shenfield
(1477-1514). The moat survives, with much of the C16 brick revetment (QV). The
house was refronted in red brick and altered in 1714 by William Alexander of Shenfield.
In the C20 a wing was added to the east side, in C18 style matching the west block.
2 storeys and attics. The west front is 5 window range, double-hung sashes with
glazing bars, in flush cased frames. The ground storey windows have gauged brick
arches with stuccoed keystones. A raised brick band with a moulded stucco string
course runs between the storeys. A central 6-panel door with raised and fielded
panels and a semi-circular fanlight with ornamental glazing bars has a doorcase
with fluted Roman Doric columns and an open segmental modillion pediment. The
doorway is approached by a flight of steps. On the south side there are 2 two-
storeyed canted bays, tile hung, with double hung sashes with glazing bars and
central casements with semi-circular arched glazing bars to the window heads.
Roof tiled, hipped on the north and south ends, with a modillion eaves cornice,
2 gabled dormers to the west front and 1 gabled dormer to the north and south
fronts. The interior has a fine C17 panelled dining room and 3 panelled bedrooms.
The house, which is approached by a bridge over the moat, is set in fine gardens.
(RCHM 2).


Listing NGR: TL6886502777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.