History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Lodge Stable Yard and Walled Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.104 / 51°6'14"N

Longitude: 0.3992 / 0°23'57"E

OS Eastings: 568067

OS Northings: 136598

OS Grid: TQ680365

Mapcode National: GBR NRN.RRR

Mapcode Global: VHJN3.VHXZ

Entry Name: Court Lodge Stable Yard and Walled Gardens

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1338588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169971

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Lamberhurst

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST CHURCH ROAD
TQ 63 NE
(south side)
3/134 Court Lodge, stable yard
and walled gardens
20.10.54
GV II

House, now flats, with courtyard and walled gardens. C17 core, enlarged c.1710, mid
C18 and mid C19. Red brick, extended and cased with sandstone with plain tiled and
slate roofs. The main elevation is that to south to the park, of three storeys with
parapet and projecting two bay wings at left and at right with separately hipped
roofs and with stacks to centre, to centre left and centre right. Regular
fenestration of seven glazing bar sashes on each floor, some with glazing bars
missing, all with keyed surrounds, those to centre on first and second floors round
headed. Projecting from and returned to this front a low stone wall with regular
buttress piers enclosing the garden terrace. Entrance front to left with three
storeys of 5 bays, the ground floor built out and with canted porch with panelled
doors. Right return (leading to the church) with irregular 5 bay frontage and with 2
storey canted bay, round headed stair window and half glazed door in pilastered
surround with flat hood on brackets and semi-circular fanlight. Rear elevation of
four separate blocks, only the right hand, towards the entrance front, of stone, the
centre two with steeper pitched slate covered roofs. Adjoining this elevation is the
stable yard with C18 coachhouse and outbuildings. Two walled gardens adjoin to the
north east, with red brick walls about 6 feet in height, buttressed and ramped at
various points and with boarded gates and attached sheds and outbuildings,
enclosing areas of about 20 by 35 metres in the more southerly, and 40 by 40 metres
in the northern enclosure. The house became the seat of the Morland family, Lords of
the Manor of Lamberhurst, mid C18, and one of the principal seats in the parish
(with Scotney and Bayham Abbey), Thomas Morland (d.1784) largely creating its
present character. See Hasted, vol.V and Igglesden, vol.XVII.


Listing NGR: TQ6781936707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.